News, Updates and Thoughts
Not quite a blog, not quite a newsletter, but here is where you can see the latest quick updates from Seismic HQ!
November 16, 2021
New! Sorta...well, not really...
The powers-that-be let me know that this little indie dyer can't name colorways after the comic book characters that inspired them. What? Boooooo! So renaming had to happen somewhat quickly. To maintain the theme, the Cosplay Collection is now...The Unmasked Collection! The new names are mostly the real first names of the characters (I did want to honor their privacy a bit...and not get my site shut down right before the holiday shopping season!). Below is a quick guide to the original and new colorway names:
- Black Widow is now Natasha
- Deathstroke is now Slade
- The Wasp is Janet
- Hela (Goddess of Death) is now Hel (a Norse goddess)
- I’m Batman is now Bruce
- Raven is now Rachel
- Harley Quinn is now Dr. Q
- Biohazard Man is still Biohazard Man – there’s no superhero. I made him up. Take that!
- Bumblebee is now B-127
- Radioactive Man is now Chen
- Aquaman is now Orin
- Huntress is now Helena
- Poison Ivy is now Pamela
- Bella Donna is now Ms. Boudreaux
As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
July 29, 2021
Thank you so much for your amazing response to my call for Sample Makers. I have compiled an FAQ page for most of the questions that came up. Click here to check it out. Also, I'm leaving the application open for now.
July 27, 2021
Seeking Sample Makers
We are looking for a few good makers - primarily knitters and crocheters to help make samples using Seismic Yarn. While the primary purpose will be for show/shop samples, anything made by a sample maker may be worn or gifted at any point. Garments will be usually requested in my size (approximately 40-44" size) and you may see me wearing it out and about or on Instagram/my website.
The most important quality you can bring is a high level of craftsmanship. Nicely finished edges. Ends woven in well. Even stitches and tension. Getting gauge. Also important is the ability to meet deadlines. We are looking for a range of projects, from beginner-friendly to advanced. Please sign up for things that you enjoy making. Ideally, you will not be learning a new skill on a project you are sample making (other than maybe a new stitch).
Payment is in Seismic Yarn - equivalent value to the yarn used in the project. Payment yarn will be sent after the finished sample has been received by Seismic Yarn and we will pay for tracked shipping to and from the sample maker.
March 14, 2021
It's time for a proper shop update! New colors:
- Pink Pearl
- Woodstock & Snoopy
- Preorder for Urban Jungle
- Timmy & Tommy
- Aquatic Pearl
- Blue Pearl
- Daly City Birthday Party
- Better Days are Coming
- New Year, New Hue
- Holiday Discord
- The Fallin' Mini Skein Set
- Pretty Pretty Princess Minis
I've also been working on a bajillion projects - wholesale orders, collaborations, more collaborations, paperwork, new colorways, the 2021 Vegan Colorways and...preparing for Stitches West 2022!
December 11, 2020
I know it's kind of late, but I have a new Hanukkah Mini Skein Set newly available. My sister celebrates Hanukkah and is teaching the Dye Interns about it this year. Here are a few pics from tonight's meal:
December 4, 2020
Important December dates and cutoffs:
• December 7 - last day that Dye to Order will be open in 2020. It does NOT guarantee you will get your order before/in time for Christmas. This will reopen on January 4, 2021.
• December 10 - USPS recommends shipping by this day to increase the likeliness of your order arriving in time for Christmas. They don’t guarantee it therefore neither can I.
• December 13 - 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern - I’m doing Vogue Knitting Live! Instead of a live dye session this round, I’ll share some ready to ship gift ideas/kits, favorite color combos, and spend time time doing a community check in as holiday stress will be mounting, if not in full swing, by this point. More info to come but we will definitely address self care and boundaries!
• December 18 - last planned trip to the post office (you’re gonna want to choose Priority shipping if it’s going out this late).
• December 20 through January 4, 2021 - Seismic HQ will be closed for a much needed holiday break. The dye pots will be OFF - no exceptions (unless I gave birth to you or you gave birth to me). Email will be checked occasionally but not too regularly. I will be on family mode and promised the #DyeInterns that I will learn to play Among Us with them. I have books to read, naps to take, and most importantly, family to chill with.
December 3, 2020
• Complimentary simple gift wrapping available if you are sending some Seismic goodies directly to a friend this holiday season - just ask in your order notes! (It would be helpful to know which holiday(s) the recipient celebrates - I wouldn’t want to use Christmas paper for an atheist!)
- Check out my interview with Kelley and Tony from The Royal Bee Yarn Company! https://youtu.be/DDAao3MbuW8